Sea Shell Checkboard

Friday, June 16, 2017
 A lot of beach vacations end with a bag of shells for me.  I recently brought a bunch of beach themed crafts to GMT.  This is one of them...it's super simple, but a fun way to use some of those shells.
I bought a 1 1/2 foot board and had the home improvement store cut it down to squares.  I painted it white and then I took a regular kitchen sponge and figured out what size square would be the right one for 8x8.  In this case, it ended up being about 1 1/2 inch.  I took some blue paint and sponge pressed it down.  I liked the 'holes' left from the sponge stamp, but you can go back and paint it to be a solid square.  Afterwards I added two different kinds of shells I have.  You could also just paint the same shell two different colors.....or use bottle caps or sea glass....whatever is around.

No comments