Football Posts and a Sandwich in a Crockpot

Wednesday, January 08, 2014
I've been collecting recipes and projects for football related 'stuff' for awhile now.  It's the Texas in me blogging.  Here is a link my pinterest board where I've been trying to sort through old post and create a collection.  I have far too many football related post...but...here is one more...a hot sandwich via a crockpot.  Aside from pizza, big sandwiches are my football drug of choice.  I usually hurry home from church on Sundays to catch games, and with a rather major game coming up....this is a recipe I'll be adding to my rotating junk food list.  The nice thing is I can set it to go so it's ready to eat when I return home....to the game, and what will usually end up being my nap time.
These are so simple to put together-ball up some foil and put it in the bottom of the crockpot (the bottom gets the hottest and you don't want to burn the bottom of your bread).   Add a cup of water....it just helps give the bread a really neat crust and steams your cheese blah blah blah.
 I buy uncut loaves of bread-in this case I grabbed a sourdough, but whatever your favorite is, this way I can cut it myself and I slice down to about 1/2 inch from the bottom, but keep the bottom together, just so all the good cheese doesn't ooze out...a bread boat.  It's not necessary, but I like it.  Grab your meat/cheese/ toppings of choice...
 Fill every other slice of bread with your fillings.  Once it's done cookie, you can just slice them apart.
 Cover it with foil, make sure it covers the sides really well b/c the water at the bottom tends to boil up a bit....
 Place your sandwich in the crockpot and cook on low for 2-4 hours.

No comments