Peppermint: Peppermint Cherry Tassies

Tuesday, December 06, 2011
I saw a version of this via Martha's Cupcake book a year ago, and I was fascinated by the cherry popping out.  Anything that goes into cupcake pans fascinate me, but the cherry tail....precious.  I saw the recipe again via Better Homes and Garden, and I decided it was time to give it a go!  Ummm...yum, so glad I did!!!  It also makes a ton and would be a fun recipe for a cookie exchange. 
Here's the recipe I used, and I wouldn't change a thing! 
Ingredients:  nonstick cooking spray 1 1/4 c. butter (at room temp), 2 1/4 c. powdered sugar (divided), 1 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. salt, 1 t. peppermint extract, 1 t. vanilla, 1 egg, 2 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 c. (finely crushed) peppermints (this ended up being about 16), 48 maraschino cherries (drained, with stems), coarse sugar. 
Instructions: 
1.  Preheat over to 350, and coat mini-muffin pan with cooking spray, set aside. 
2.  Beat butter, and 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. 
3.  Beat in peppermint extract, vanilla, and egg. 
4.  Beat in flour, and then add crushed peppermint candies. 
5.  Make 1 inch balls, and roll in remaining powdered sugar. 
6.  Press dough into pan along the bottom, and the sides of the pan.  (This reminds me of when you make a pie shell, the gap in the middle is necessary b/c the pastry will expand inward.)
7.  Place cherry in the middle, stem pointing upward (there will be space between the cherry and the pastry sides).
8.  Bake for 12 minutes (until golden brown).  Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and let cool for 10 minutes. 
9.  I used a sharp knife to help pop these out, but they released easily. 

1 comment

Erin said...

So cool looking. I love the cherry tails too!