Zucchini Bread In-A-Can

Thursday, October 28, 2010
I love zucchini bread.  You can't taste the zucchini, but it gives this cinnamon-ee bread a moist texture.   I made this to go with a larger gift, which I'll share sometime soon, but first....I needed to give the bread it's own post.  I've seen breads in cans before, and I should also say, I've read there are some chemicals in cans that some believe makes this process unsafe, so be warned if that's the sort of warning you want to take head of, and just bake your bread in the traditional tins.  I've seen beans cooked over fire stoves in cans for years, and I figured if I only do this every ONCE in awhile, it'll be OK.  I like the way bread looks in a can, and it's an affordable way to give a gift.  :O)  Here's the recipe, and instructions if you want to live life on the tin can edge with me. 

Zucchini Bread
Ingredients:
3 c. flour, 1 t. salt, 1 t. baking soda, 1 t. baking powder, 3 t. cinnamon, 3 eggs, 1 c. vegetable oil, 2 1/4 c. sugar, 3 t. vanilla, 2 c. (peeled) grated zucchini (about 2 medium zuchhinis), 1 c. chopped walnuts
Instructions: 
1.  Grease 6 empty/cleaned vegetable cans (or 1 8x4 inch bread pan)-I use Baker's Joy with flour. 
2.  Sift flour, salt, soda, powder, and cinnamon in a bowl.
3.  Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar and then add in sifted ingredients and beat well. 
4.  Fold in zucchini and nuts. 

5.  If you are using the cans, I filled mine to a little over half full of batter, and the popped up perfectly.  I wanted a tiny bit peeking over the edge. 

6.  Bake 40-60 minutes.  (My cans took about 45 minutes total for a tester to come out clean). 
I put a piece of syran wrap over the cooled bread, cut a circle of wax paper, and held it on with a rubber band, which I later covered with raffia. 
This freezes well, and can be stored in the fridge for a week++.  :O)
Linking To:
Free Pretty Things For You
It's a Blog Party
Pretty Packages
Keeping it Simple
Remodelaholic
CRAFT
Crafty Soiree
Tatortots and Jello
Along for the Ride
Funky Junk
Be Different...Act Normal
Under the Table and Dreaming
Anything Related
Sassy Sites
House of Hepworths
handmade projects
Photobucket

19 comments

Unknown said...

I've never seen this done in an actual tin can but I really like the look and what a fabulous gift!

Coleen's Corner said...

What a yummy, clever idea!

Anonymous said...

What size cans are these? I am so doing this!!!! Thank you!

Christy said...

I used vegetable and soup cans that are about 15 oz. ;) Happy baking!

Jami said...

Alright, you must share these and the larger gift this coming week at the Pretty Packages Party! You're just so crafty!
smiles!

Unknown said...

cool- always wanted to know how to do this! thx!

tt.scraps said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

What a AWESOME! idea! Going to have to share with my mom!

chris said...

So cool! I'd never thought of cooking a quick bread in a can. This would be a fun way to share the garden bounty with neighbors.

queen bee tracy said...

Very cute idea...found you on the links on "Be Different...Act Normal"

I think the only issues with the cans would be the ones that are lined/coated (they are usually white, often on acidic foods). I'm just going to use the all metal ones.

Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

What a cute idea for a gift! I love it!

Mickey said...

I love these! Thanks for sharing them with us.
mickey

Envymycooking said...

Yummy if you ever would like to be featured or would like to share a recipe please come become a follower and email us...Great site

malia said...

Awesome idea Christy and I love the scalloped wax paper on top-- so cute!

Sassy Sites! said...

Thanks for linking up with Sassy Sites for "Trash to Treasure Tuesday". :)

-Marni @ Sassy Sites!

the decorated cookie said...

I love stuff baked in cans! (really!) Thanks for sending along. I posted at ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com

Shirley said...

My Mother made Boston Brown Bread in tin cans. We had it every Christmas until she passed away in 2003 and never became ill from eating it. I love the way you topped them off for a gift.

Unknown said...

We are having a Bake Sale to raise funds for my halau (hula school) Ka Pi O o Ke Anuenue in Ashland, Oregon. I am so excited to use this recipe. I just looked up a link from the retail store Trader Joes. They sell many different products in BPA Free cans. I was worried about cooking cans and making the food for sale toxic. After some research, the real danger is with the cans leaching BPA's into the food during the cooking process. Using the BPA free cans takes the danger out of cooking with lined tin cans. Also, a good hint is to use a can opener which seals the edge of the can, making it safe (not sharp). This kind of opener can be found at specialty cooking stores, online and from a Pampered Chef Salesperson. Yay!

Bill said...

My Grandma made Zucchini Bread in cans. I had the recipe long ago, but have lost it. I'm so glad you posted yours.

Just as a note, I vaguely recall her having a tray of water in the oven to keep humidity high.

Her recipe always had walnuts, and sometimes she had raisins and chopped dates in her bread. It was very dark because she had molasses in the recipe.

I'll take yours and experiment with it to see if I can't replicate what my memory has been craving.